The green bean casserole was super yummy so I decided to try to mushroom soup in different recipes. I'd use the homemade soup just as I'd use a can of it from the grocery store.
Today's adventure.... Bone in, lean pork chops cooked all day long in my homemade cream of mushroom soup! You could really use this recipe anytime you need a creamed soup for your cooking. It takes about 20 mins to make.... but really, the benefits are so great that it's so worth it! Low fat, full of flavor and guilt free eating!
Skinny Betsy’s Super Low-Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 ½ cups non-fat milk
1 tsp coarse cracked black pepper
2-3 bay leaves
½ tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cups mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup reduced/non-fat sour cream
Salt & pepper
- Combine milk, peppercorns, bay leaf and nutmeg in a medium saucepan and heat over low until steaming. Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes and strain into a measuring cup. (Discard peppercorns and bay leaf.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, salt and pepper to season, and cook, stirring often, until golden & caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Salt and pepper to season.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in sour cream.