Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mmmmmmm steak

Early post-op when I was first learning to re-eat meats... I tried steak.  Sadly, it did not settle well in my pouch and it ended up in the toilet.  It just felt so heavy in my stomach and it physically hurt.  I knew then that I'd probably not be able to tollerate steak again.  Seriously, I was devestated.  I love a really good, medium rare, juice, sirlon steak.  Oh... with lots of garic.  Yes please.  So, I cried at this revelation and moved on. 

About a month ago, my family and I went out for dinner to a steak restaurant and I ordered a steak.  I had been doing well at 7 months out with solid foods... eating slow... and keeping things down and thought I'd give it a whirl.  Worst case scenario: I end up in the bathroom before the night was over. 

I get my steak, cut into the juicy tenderness and take a bite.  I am reminded right away why I love steak so much.   And now, if this can stay down.... it's so high in protein, I would want to eat steak all the time!  

Chew... chew... chew.... chew.... seriously, I spent a minute at least chewing the first bite of steak.  Swallow.  Then wait.  

Wait some more... then, it hits me!  My tummy isn't freaking out.  Let's try another piece!  This went on for a good 45 minutes.  Bite, chew, chew, chew, swallow, wait... until I had eaten about 5oz of steak.  

Not once did my stomach feel upset.  Not once did I feel like I had over ate.  Not once did my stomach feel anything but good!!  Horrray! Had I hopped over this hurdle of not being able to try steak?  I sure hoped so!! Steak is so high in protein and so delicious! 

I decided I needed to test out eating steak again and again.  So far, I've had it three times in the last month or so and each time.... I eat about 5-6 oz over an hour or so and I keep it all down...  no pain! 

I am so darn excited about this!!! Last night my hubby and I went out to The Keg and I really ate almost 1/2 a 12oz steak plus some veggies!!  

Yay for steak!!!!! Yay for my pouch being able to handle it!!! 

1 comment:

Renee said...

And Yay for you getting to still eat things you love! Awesome! ;)