Monday, October 4, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame! Part 2

Saturday night was my first Mariners game since my surgery.  It was also my last Mariners game before we move to Germany.  It was a night full of mixed emotions... excited, happy, sad, proud, accomplished.

See, I've been going to Mariners games my entire life.  My love for baseball all started when I was little and my big brother, Robert, would take me into the street in front of our house and play catch with me.  He'd quiz me on the Mariners line ups and he'd teach me everything he knew about baseball.  Baseball was the one thing that brought me and Robert together.  Still today, it's the one thing we always have in common.

The last time I was at Safeco Field for a game, I couldn't fit comfortably in the seats.  I was cramped, the people next to me were cramped.  I sweat.  And I was just uncomfortable.  I had gone into the M's Team Shop looking for a new hoodie, but left empty handed when nothing fit me.  I was just too big for any of the cute stuff.

Dave and I arrive at The Safe and we go straight to the Team Shop.  I was down 80+ pounds and I wanted a new hoodie to commemorate my final game and my weight loss.  Walking into that store, knowing I didn't have to buy the biggest size they had, knowing I could try on anything I wanted and it would fit... well, I've never experienced a feeling quite like that before at Safeco.

I picked out this, and it's only an XL.  Not an XXL or XXXL like I used to wear.  Regular ole XL!!

We get to our seats and to my surprise, when I sat down, there was room on either side of me!  I fit!! And what was even more amazing, I could cross my legs!  What? YES!! Cross my legs!!

(On a side note:  Crossing my legs is my new favorite thing.  When I was fatter, there was no way my big ole legs could be crossed.  So now that I can do, I do it all the time!!  There is just something about crossing my legs that makes me feel more like a woman, more feminine.)

So, I got a new jacket and I fit in the seats.  A M A Z I N G feelings both of those things were.

The night ended with me in tears.  Safeco, the Kingdome and the Seattle Mariners have been a  part of my summer my whole life.  As I stood at the top of the stairs, looking down onto the glory that is the Mariners... I cried.  All the memories, joy, laughter that was had in this amazing place will be cherished in my heart forever.   I even got engaged there (on the center field scoreboard!!!).  I'm getting choked up now just thinking about how much I'm going to miss Seattle baseball.

Good news though... I'm still losing weight and victories like these are being had all the time!  Weight loss is amazing and I'm so happy with my progress!


******************************

Weight Loss Recap
Today's weight: 241bs
Total weight loss: 84bs
Weight loss since surgery: 73bs

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Apart from the victories that you mentioned, you also look YEARS younger! I don't know you personally but the pics say a lot.

Who knows.. maybe you might get to visit me in my cupcakes shop when you are over in Germany.. It's not so far away to Greece from there.

Deb said...

Great post, Betsy. I am so very happy for you. And you do look GREAT!!!